2021 – Colin Butcher
Colin Butcher OAM is for longstanding service to the rail industry. Colin won the RTSA Individual Award in 2018, for his lifetime achievement in providing technical expertise in locomotives, passenger cars and freight wagons, and his long service as a manager within a variety of organisations. His technical ability includes all aspects of vehicle design and performance for most Australian states, and countries in America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Transport (Trains) and Engineering Sector
- Consultant Engineer, Industrious Design Pty Ltd, since 2003.
- Managing Director, ACB Consulting Services, 1993-2000.
- General Manager, Engineering Division, ABB Transportation, 1990-1993.
- Manager, Rolling Stock, Maunsell PB Pty Ltd, 1989-1990.
- Mechanical Engineer, Clyde Engineering, 1966-1970. Comeng
- Assistant Chief Engineer then Engineering Manager, 1973-1989.
- Mechanical Engineer, 1970-1973.
Author of a number of publications, including:
- A Cost Effective High Speed Railway for Australia, RTSA Conf. on Railway Engineering, Wollongong, 2002.
- Mixing High Speed Passenger and Freight Trains – A New Angle, IIR Conf on Railway Engineering and Operations, Sydney, 1994.
- Tilting Suspension Systems for Australian Tracks, IIR Conf on Railway Engineering and Operations, Sydney, 1992.
- High Speed Passenger Trains – New Technologies or New Lines, IIR Conf. on Railway Engineering and Operations, Sydney, 1991.
- Why TRIBO, Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1985.
- High Speed Passenger Trains for Australia, Railway Engineering Symposium, Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1983.
- Development of Bogies for XPT, Railway Engineering Conference, Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1981.
Awards and recognition include:
• Individual Award, Railway Technical Society of Australasia, 2018