RTSA Endorsed Courses
The ARA and RTSA jointly provide the following 1-day courses several times each year:
- Insight into Rollingstock Engineering
- Insight into Track Engineering:
For the latest course schedule, please click here.
RTSA is currently working with Engineers Australia and Engineering Education Australia (EEA) to develop additional courses.
The Monash Institute of Railway Technology (IRT) offers several short courses on rail fundamentals in: rolling stock, rail welding and track infrastructure.
As of November 2019, the following additional courses are known to be available. This listing does not mean endorsement by RTSA.
Other Industry-Run Courses / Workshops / Diplomas
The ARA and RISSB regularly run and participate in various courses and workshops to assist the Australasian Rail Industry in knowledge sharing. For the latest course schedules, please click here or here.
The University of Sydney Business School offers a certificate in Certificate of Railway Planning and Operations. The course introduces students to the key elements of railway planning and operations.
Transport for NSW has partnered with Engineers Australia to launch a Diploma of Rail Track Engineering.
Starting in 2020, the IRSE Australasian Section together with Competency Australia is offering a Graduate Diploma in Railway Signalling via distance education.
Rail-specific courses and degrees are offered from time to time at Universities around Australia and New Zealand. A list of some (but not all) courses that are currently available include:
The Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT) provides practical engineering and technology education; from Diplomas through to Masters Degrees. Starting in January 2020, EIT is offering a Master of Engineering (Civil: Railway Infrastructure) via Online Delivery.
Rolling Stock Engineering (THIS COURSE NOT OFFERED IN 2019/2020)
Rolling Stock courses are specifically designed to meet industry needs by delivering the knowledge and experience that are difficult to gain through workplace training programs only. The courses are built on a problem-based approach to learning and focused on the technologies and challenges faced by rolling stock engineers working across all sectors of the railway industry.
Via Online Delivery, the University of Wollongong offers the following which are designed to provide further education for engineering graduates and professional engineers interested in pursuing a career as a rolling stock engineer involved in the design, construction, operation and maintenance sectors.
- Graduate Certificate in Rolling Stock Engineering (Online Delivery, University of Wollongong)
- Master of Rolling Stock Engineering (Online Delivery, University of Wollongong)
Undergraduate Courses and Scholarships
The following rail related undergraduate courses are offered throughout Australia and New Zealand (as of September 2019):
- Rail Infrastructure (CIVE1257 at RMIT, Melbourne). This course investigates components of railway infrastructure and the design and construction of different railway systems. It encompasses a wide range of engineering disciplines, including civil engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering.
- Introduction to Railway Engineering (ENER20001 at CQU, Rockhampton) – In this unit, you will engage in a project that offers opportunities for you to explore issues in the design, modelling and analysis of railway vehicle/ track systems. Depending on your previous knowledge and experience, you may choose to investigate traction and braking, vehicle dynamics or structural engineering aspects.
The following rail related undergraduate scholarships are offered throughout Australia and New Zealand (as of September 2019):
- ” The Inland Rail Scholarships” – Charles Sturt University has a scholarship agreement with the Australian Rail Track Corporation Ltd which will provide financial assistance to a number of the University’s first-year students over the course of their degrees. New scholarships valued at $5,000 per year to a maximum of $20,000 over a four-year undergraduate degree for students. Scholarships will assist first-year regional students living in specific LGAs near the Inland Rail project alignment
- Six undergraduate scholarships valued up to $20,000 each are being offered by the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) to La Trobe University students – living in specific LGAs – as part of a new Inland Rail Skills Academy.
Operations, Maintenance and Skilled Trades Training
In Australia, training courses and providers can be found at mySkills Australia